Business Beyond Borders

Business Beyond Borders

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

It Has Only Just Begun

 "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." -Eleanor Roosevelt


On the Monday of this week, the senior class finally had a taste of what the end of senior year has in store for us, and boy was that taste sour. Once I entered the classroom you could feel the nerves everyone shared. "Are you ready?" "Did you practice?" Question floated everywhere and almost immediately after the clock struck 8 a.m., presentations began. First, Mr. Piggott took volunteers and the brave few rose their hands. Then, our order was to be chosen randomly out of a bag. I had chosen the number 6, I would be going after our first break. 

The night before, I began feeling sick and very unsure of myself. I kept practicing and attempting to reach time, but always ended up making it just under the required time. I wasn't sure of what order we would be going, so I decided it would be best to bring my props just in case, and I'm glad I did. As my turn came closer, I began feeling sick again and wasn't sure of how capable I was going to be to properly complete my presentation. 

I sat through the presentations that went before me and mentally realized everything I could have put in my PowerPoint, everything that could have been included to help me reach time. I had been very confident in my topic, Psychopathy, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to give it justice. The inevitable had arrived and I stumbled to the front to set up my posters and computer. The presentation flew by and I just spewed out as much information that I could. When it was over, I let out a deep breath. Then I thought to myself, this is only the beginning. The 30 minute and 2 hour presentation are still to come. If I had panicked so much over 10 minutes, I am going to need some major preparation time for the two other senior project presentations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment